Advice on what to do after exams and finding work.
Many people are getting their exam results this summer and deciding what to do next can be daunting, particularly in a climate where jobs are getting fewer and competition for them is getting tougher. Deciding what to do will be dependent on your personal and financial circumstances. You may want to carry on studying or training but cannot afford to. Your circumstances may mean that it’s vital for you to get a job and start earning straight away. Let’s consider the issues that you may be facing:
Money and your options
There’s no getting away from the fact that this will be a major factor in your decision. For people considering university, there are high tuition fees to consider and for those seeking employment, it’s a very competitive job market. Whatever options you’re considering think about:
- Can I afford to study/train?
- What are the fees involved?
- What do I have to pay back (payment terms)?
- Do I need to earn an income now?
- Could I study and earn? See Apprenticeships.
- What am I planning to do in the long-term? (goals/ambitions)
- What job opportunities are available to me now?
- What can I expect to earn?
You may have commitments to fulfil, financial, family or otherwise but these will affect what you can do. Think about the following:
- Do I need to earn a regular income at this time?
- What outgoings do I have?
- Do I have outstanding debts/bills to pay?
- Do I have family commitments? For example, looking after a young child or elderly person.
- Are there only certain hours when I can work?
There are lots of options depending on whether you want to continue in education, training or seek employment. Depending on what you like doing, you may already have a plan for the future. If you’ve just got your exam results it’s likely that you’re thinking about what to do next. Although we don’t know what is around the corner, it can be a good idea to have a plan (that you can adapt and change along the way). Think about:
- What do you enjoy doing/are good at?
- What are your dreams and ambitions?
- How do you plan to achieve them?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What opportunities are there?
Good luck in whatever you choose to do, think it through, plan it and go for it!